Match Reports 2014 / 2015

Nice Work Ovamill

Nice Work Ovamill



Scole v Cringleford (league match) 16th  November 2014

We were on our travels again with one of our longest trips into the undergrowth of South Norfolk, Scole! Wearing our maroon kit with a new found formation of 3 – 3 – 2 we were looking forward to a real tough game with a team who came from the same league as us last year.


I reminded the boys that some of these could be Ipswich fans and ith that info in minds they ran out with the smell of blood in their nostrils.


The first 20 minutes was some of the best football this team has ever played. They kept the ball with great passing and movement. Scole were just chasing shadows. Johnny received the ball just outside the area, turned and chipped the ball into the top corner 1-0.

The midfield of Tom, Conor and Cam were directing football with some neat passing. Conor who has been outstanding all this season didn’t disappoint with some great simple passing. Cam was doing as he was told and sitting just in front of the defence. The defence looked top draw and Denham was joining in whenever he could. Johnny popped up again from another corner to volley home, to make it 2. Then came one of the best goals we have seen in Cringleford history, there were several passes, maybe six and Tom was at hand to slot the ball home. This resulted in a very delighted coaching team.


Halftime 3-0


The Second half started in similar fashion with the boys passing and moving. Jordy got behind the defence with a great through ball and with a 1v1 with Jordy there was only one winner. Matti was blazing the wing, beating people for fun and it was only a matter of time before another goal. Jordy once again at it as he popped up to make 5-0.


The team seemed to change its focus from “team” to I want to score. This lost our drive and we let 2 goals slip through Denham’s goal. The second being another headed goal from a corner where no one challenged the opposition’s player. The worst was no one seemed to care! The last 5 minutes the focus was renewed and we started passing the ball, happy days. I really hope that was a lesson learnt! We play FOOTBALL for two full halves no excuses.


Final score 5-2


MOM: Conor O’Neil – a really assured performance of pass and move.


Officials of the day: Steve and Kevin thank you both Mr Lino.

Thorpe at home in the Cup.


Taverham v Cringleford (league match) 9th  November 2014

We were off to Hinks Meadow to play last year’s champions, Taverham. This was going to be a really good test to see how the boys are developing as last year we were steam rollered by this really strong Taverham squad in a cup match, last season. With all bar Tom available the teams observed the minutes silence for Armistice Day together impeccably before kickoff.


The game started at a frantic pace with both teams giving no quarter. Our defence was looking strong with Adam, Joel and Seth working well together. In midfield we gave the ball away a little cheaply but they were working the socks off the opposition closing them down. Ollie once again had to punch well above his weight and height as he took on the lone battle up front.  Cringleford could have taken the lead when the ball broke to Will J who’s shot from outside the area crashed against the bar. Although Taverham seemed in the driving seat each time we did get the ball in their half we were a real threat to them. Matti broke down the right, Cam was screaming to be laid in but Matti decided to shoot just wide of the target. The Home team were really putting the pressure on us with a series of corners but we defended with great strength. Denham made a fantastic full length save keeping us in the game. Again the home team were pushing us hard and after another series of corners Taverham took the lead when a loose ball was smashed home.


Halftime 0-1


At half time we said boys were to keep battling. We need to try and play a bit more football but for us to do so we needed to win the ball more and earn the right to play.


The second half we seemed to keep the lid on Taverham attacks. The game was a battle of attrition but we struggled to get fully to grips with our passing game in midfield. Taverham showed their class with another well taken goal but to Cringleford’s credit all these players worked harder than we have ever seen. We kept things really tight and the boys will take a massive amount of plaudits from how we met this challenge head on.


Final score 0-2

MOM: Adam Burrows, seems like we could all do with a holiday if you play like that.


Officials of the day: Kevin Burrows good work Mr Lino.

Scole away next week.

Cringleford v Attleborough (league match) 2nd November 2014

We welcomed Attleborough to the field of dreams on a grey autumnal morning for only our second home match of the season.  With Adam and Joel unavailable Darcy was given an opportunity to shine.  Attlebourgh were going to be a tough nut to crack as the south Norfolk side have been either league winners or cup winners for the last 3 seasons.


The boys looked composed and ready for this game but within 5 minutes of the start Will was left standing as the opposition gave Denham  no chance as they took the lead. We were then caught out by a long throw which allowed them to make it 2. The boys looked shell shocked and were looking for some internal inspiration but there was none coming. A foul a good way into our half was dispatched with some quality into the top corner to make 3, half time could not come quick enough for us to try and regroup.


Halftime 0-3


At half time some home truths were spoken to the boys, communication, work rate, responsibility and team work should have been ringing in their ears. They certainly listened as the next 10 minutes they played like they meant it. Attleborough were rattled. This is what we should have done from the start. Voices were raised and the team looked like a team.  During this period we really needed a goal but one never came. Tom was having a really outstanding game at full back along with Conor and Matti. Ollie was battling away and gave as good as he got. Once again Attleborough moved up the gears with another two goals but this was really unfair on the team as they had come to terms with their style of football and it didn’t feel like a 0-5 margin.


More hard work on the training pitch and it will come right….promise.


Final score 0-5


A special mention to Dave Sharred for refereeing really top 10/10 performance.


MOM: Seth had a fantastic game, out playing one of the best strickers in the county.


Officials of the day: Bruce Hughes and Ian McKinnon – Evans.

Taverham away next week.



 Norwich United v Cringleford  (Cup match) 19th October 2014

Another glorious sunny morning greeted the travelling Cringleford army and with an unchanged squad we were off to visit Norwich United. They are from a lower division so there was always the chance of a cup  upset on the cards. I reminded the boys it was only 2 seasons ago that Cringleford were performing at this level.


The game kicked off with us wearing our favourite maroon kit and with our first attack we were a goal to the good. We then moved into a 7 – 8 minutes of us constantly being caught off side we were being very gung ho but with very little coming back the boys were shooting on sight. The home team found our power, passing and pace too much to handle. At half time we were 7 goals up and this was proving to be a real miss match.


Halftime 0-7


The second half carried on in the same vain with Cringleford testing the Norwich United keeper at every attack. Cringleford finished 17 goals to the good and move into the next round of the cup.


Norwich United can take a lot of credit for keeping going they will have better days than this playing in their league.


Final score 0-17


MOM: A good all round team performance.


Moment of the Match: Some very slick passing moves and some fantastic finishes. Matti’s turn and toe poke the stand out goal of the day.


Officials of the day: Steven Jennings thank you Mr Lino.


 St Andrews v Cringleford v (league match) 12th October 2014

St Andrews and Cringleford locked horns for the third season in a row these have always been very hard battles with neither team giving an inch. Due to administration issues both FIFA and UEFA had agreed a reversal of this fixture, so we were on our travels again.


The boys were roused by battle cry from Will that they need to win to avenge the death of the family Hamster (Gus) who had moved over to hamster heaven the previous night. This seemed to inspire the boys as they came out of the traps with real venom and for the first 15 minutes we were the real deal. Within this from a Willy J corner the ball dropped to Jordy who slotted home to make it 3 in 3 for the striker. We were knocking the ball around with ease but St Andrews were looking quick on the break. It was from one of these breaks with a cross field pass and a great cross their little midfielder headed passed Denham. This really put the boys out of their stride but Ollie, Tom, Matti, Johnny and Conor toiled away but with no end product and at half time they needed some “up and at ‘em”, to return to the game.


Halftime 1-1


The second half continued in the same format with St Andrews trying to catch us on the break and our defence standing strong. We spoke at half time that sometimes you need to go backwards one step to go forward but this didn’t sink in. We play fantastic 2 and 3 touch, keep ball, in our training sessions but we need to bring this into Sunday matches. We did look to pass the ball but our touch or multiple touches let us down. We used the width of the pitch and just need to be more clinical in front of goal.


The boys looked a little down on the final whistle but this was a hard fought point which shows how well we are getting to grips with this league and this standard.


Final score 1-1


MOM: Denham Oliver a very assured performance and is learning that he can drive the team forward from between the sticks.


Moment of the Match: Better first touch to all of you, Think touch!


Officials of the day: Ian McKinnon – Evans and Steven Oliver thank you Mr Lino.

Next match is Away to Norwich Untied 19th October 2014.


Mulbarton v Cringleford v (league match) 5th October 2014

The team was off on its travels again and we were on our way to our near neighbours Mulbarton. After a really good hard working training session we felt we were ready to cut loose. It was near perfect morning for football with sun and a shimmering pitch with dew.


We kicked off and Cringleford were looking the most dangerous with Johnny, Conor, Matti and Will running midfield. Jordy was making his superior speed show against a really strong Mulbarton team.  When Mulbarton did come forward they were getting snuffed out by Tom, Adam and the Captain, Seth. Denham was loud, quick off his line and driving the team forward. This was it, Cringleford had arrived in the A league. Carrying on from the second half of last week’s match, all we needed was a goal! Conor, Johnny,  Jordy,  Ollie and Cam all had opportunities but Cringleford had no joy. The boys seemed in total control as the half time whistle blew.


Halftime 0-0


We said to the boys to keep pushing, upping the tempo and make this our half, all over again. We were the driving force and needed to keep it that way. For the first 10 minutes Cringleford were the better team. Ollie was darting here and there keeping the ball well, laying off and playing in others. Mulbarton seemed to start to turn the screw and just started to put us under some intense pressure on our goal. The boys were battling but with 10 minutes to go we failed to clear a cross and with two opposition players waiting, the ball hit the back of the net. We carried on battling and working really hard, further chances came our way but the final ball and some good keeping kept us at bay.


As the final whistle blew and we shook hands with the opposition, they knew they had been in a real tough game. Whether it was their A league experience or our lack of experience at this level I’m not sure but we came out of this match with some real credit. The goals will come I’m sure of it.


This was a fantastic performance from everyone in the squad.


Final score 1-0


MOM: Captain McKinnon this was one of his best performances in the yellow of Cringleford.


Moment of the Match: Conor dancing through the penalty box Score, Score, Score!!!!!!


Officials of the day: Steve Jennings and Bruce Hughes thank you Mr Lino.

Next match is Away to St Andrews 12th October 2014.


 Cringleford v Drayton (league match) 28th  September 2014

We welcomed Drayton Jets to the fields of dreams for our first home match of the season. With Matti in Wales and Thomas out with a sickness bug the team brought in new signing Louis Bennett for his first taste of league football.


We stressed to the team that we could not start slowly against any of the teams in this league. I suggested that they needed to up our volume which should help get each of them going, this has never been a problem in training! We shuffled the pack with Conor moving to centre back and Seth playing in centre midfield. They had a familiar face up front in the old Horsford player who we knew to be very quick. The first 15 minutes found us 3 down as I turned to Ian we both looked in dismay at each other that the boys had not played that badly but made 3 or 4 really poor decisions which cost us dearly. Drayton are a real physical team and had some great pace but we should have been able to compete with teams of this standard. We struggled to get a foot hold in this first half, Johnny had a good run, Ollie was battling away and Joel was having a real battle at full back. The boys looked really down at the half way mark.


Halftime 0-4


I asked the team did they want to go home now or go out and show what they can do? We had spent all Saturday morning working on meeting the ball not waiting but they had put none of this into practice. Ollie said that if Drayton can score 4 in the first half we can get 5 in the second half. There was some pride and honour in the boys as they walked out.


From the restart we began to play some football we moved the ball quicker to feet and we looked more of a team.  Johnny was bursting down the left, Jordy was getting across their centre back, Conor and Adam were winning the centre of midfield and Seth, Will and Joel had the defence looking strong. Then a through ball found Jordy one on one with the keeper and his shot was dispatched in to the net we were back in the game. We then had the first of 2 penalties which Will stepped up and the keeper saved. The second Will bravely placed on the spot this time missed the target. Very harsh but it’s all part of our learn culture, together as a team.  Cringleford were in the ascendancy then Cam made it 2 in 2 with a neat volley.


Drayton were rattled, after a coming together with Cam their player kicked out! In any form of football should have been sent off. Just for the record if any of you think that is acceptable then think again as although he went unpunished if he was CJFC player he would have been substituted. It’s all about respect and you lot have it by the bucket load so I don’t ever conceive this to be a problem. We won the second half 2-1 and could have quite easily been back in the game on another day.


This league will be difficult but each week we will learn and if we keep playing great football we will do ok.


Final score 2-5


MOM: This goes to Joel Bone great battle at left back work his socks off.


Moment of the Match: For me the whole second half as you gave a proper account of yourselves. The challenge is to bring this to the full match.


Officials of the day: Steve Oliver and Ian McKinnon – Evans thank you Mr Lino.

Next match is away to Mulbarton 5th October 2014 10:30 ko.



Blofield v Cringleford (league match) 21st September 2014

The new season struck with vengeance as Cringleford U12 broke CJFC history as the first of any of our age groups ever to play in the highest league in the Norfolk Youth Combination. Our first task was to make the short trip to Blofield and with a full squad and new signings Matti, Adam and Johnny ready to take to the stage. There was a real buzz of excitement amongst the lads and before the match we stressed that they need to believe in what we had been saying to them, that good movement and passing would unlock any defence. Banana feet McKinnon – Evans took the captains arm band and as I gazed out on this team I felt quietly confident that they would do well.


The game took us a while to get to grips with, we looked like we had played very little football together and we were sluggish to get moving. Blofield were really strong in the tackle but had never threatened us until a loose ball never reached  our midfield player and their centre midfielder whipped in a flying shot leaving Denham with no chance, we were one down. This started the charge and we began to pile on the pressure. Unbelievably Cameron was passing!! Matti was getting in behind the fullbacks, Jordy was making some great runs both with or without the ball and Adam was winning battle in the middle of the pitch. From another corner the ball came out on the edge of the box and Thomas Fry smashed a shot past the keeper 1-1. Back in the game! Then from some neat wing play Johnny won us a corner which resulted in the ball dropping to Cameron at the back of the penalty area, he slotted in a floating shot into the top corner and we were flying. The boys were then knocking the ball through the thirds with ease and it was great to watch.


Halftime 1-2


We kept the rotations rolling and with Jordy taking no notice in his centre midfield berth he found himself on the shoulder of the last defender and with his touch and pace he slotted the ball in for the third. Both Will and Matti had chances and should have put the game to bed, but in typical Cringleford style we let Blofield off the hock and from a cheap corner we didn’t challenge for the ball and in stepped one their players to headed home. This left us with a last 8 minutes where we should have been cruising but were slightly on the back foot. Some great defending kept us in the lead and it was good to see Tom, Seth, Conor linking up and using our very good goalkeeper Denham Oliver who can play a bit if truth is told.


All in all a great performance and a good start but still plenty to work on.


Final score 2-3


MOM: This time it goes to the whole team who all worked for one another and made Ian and I very pleased. A great start!


Moment of the Match: Cameron’s floated shot into the top corner was quite majestic..


Officials of the day: The Big Vern and Bruce, thank you both Mr Lino’s.

Next match is home to Drayton 28th September 2014 11:15 ko.

Leave a Reply