Under 13 Cobras – Match Reports

Match Reports

14th September 2014 – Away V Toftwood

This was the Cobras first game of the season and following a strong end to last season which saw us promoted we were determined to start on a high.

It was clear from an early stage that this was going to be tough against one of last years mid-table teams that were well organised and confident on the ball. Despite some good early exchanges at both ends Toftwood had the quality and fired themselves into an early lead with a blistering shot that left Adam with no chance. The larger goals were definitely going to lead to higher scores that were echoed around the league elsewhere. Despite Luke O capping a mazy run with a fine goal to level the scores it wasn’t enough to stop the hosts registering a further three well taken goals during the first half that they dominated and deserved.

Half time – 4-1 to Toftwood

The second half saw the hosts pick up from where they left off. With better finishing they could have added further goals in a game where the Cobras were struggling to get a foothold. Despite an improvement in possession, the visitors were finding it tricky to carve out any clear cut chances and Toftwood added a further two goals to their tally to rack up an impressive score. The Cobras were feeling the pain as Sam, Toby & Oli all took knocks that forced them to the bench during the game. The Cobras continued to battle to the end, but Toftwood ran out well deserved 6-1 winners in a game that they were rarely under pressure from a tired Cobras team.

Captain – Charlie H

Man of the Match – Giles

Result: 6-1 Loss


21st September 2014 – Home V Dereham Blacks

Following on from the difficult start to the season we were determined to put on a more convincing display against a strong Dereham side who had won their opening game. However, injuries and sickness bugs had depleted a Cobras side that started the game with only 11 players at their disposal, some having to play out of position.

Not long after the starting whistle blew a confident Dereham attack fizzed the ball past a diving Adam to make it 1-0. Despite some desperate defending the visitors to a grip of the game early on and relentlessly laid siege attacking in waves. A further two goals were scored by the visitors without reply. However, the Cobras started to string passes together and against the run of play, new boy Dominic raced through the defence to slot the ball past the keeper and register his first goal for the club. Sadly, the joy was short lived as Dereham broke at the other end to end the half 4-1 leaders.

Half Time – 4-1 to Dereham Blacks

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first as goal after goal flew in past a despairing Adam. The Dereham team were springing the Cobras defence with ease and were clinical in their finishing. Despite the best efforts of the defence, the visitors ran out 9-1 victors in a very one sided contest.

The next couple of weeks will be a testing time. Next week, the Cobras take on bottom placed Blofield – we need maximum points to get this concrete Jumbo Jet off the floor!!

 Captain – Charlie H

Man of the Match – Dominic

Result: 9-1 Loss


28th September 2014 – Away V Blofield

Today saw the Cobras visit bottom of the table Blofield on a sunny and warm morning. Both teams were desperate for the win and the game didn’t disappoint in entertainment value, controversial moments & heroic displays.

After early exchanges the game moved from end with a Blofield team hitting the Cobras on the break whenever possible. Despite the injuries the Cobras were nursing, the team held on and apart from an early looping shot that hit the crossbar, the hosts were finding it difficult to break down a resolute Cobras defence. Suddenly, the ball broke free down the middle and following a moment of hesitation from Adam, the Blofield forward slotted the ball under his body and into the back of the net. Rough justice for all the hard work.

Despite an increasing flow of Blofield pressure, the Cobras put together a strong attack and Giles broke into the box. He coolly cut across the onrushing defender and blasted it past a defenceless keeper to level the scores.

Half Time – 1-1 All square!

The second half followed a similar pattern with the home team turning the screw on the Cobras. We were finding forward raids increasingly more difficult to put together and the defence were under increased pressure. Adam pulled off a series of stunning saves, which included a full length dive to push the goal bound ball around the post.

Much to the dismay of the Blofield coaching team, Jeremy Downing (running the line) disallowed a goal for the hosts as the flag was raised for offside as the ball hit the back of the net.

Despite the great rear guard action from the boys, the game was eventually decided by a dubious penalty decision by the otherwise faultless referee. The ball bounced up in the penalty area and was adjudged to have come in contact with Alex H’s arm. Both coaches agreed that it looked like it had hit his shoulder (with Alex protesting his innocence and claiming the same!). However, the referee’s decision was final – The resulting spot kick was blasted into the corner of the net to make the game 2-1.

The Cobras continued to mount further attacks, but ran out of time as the final whistle blew. Both teams had contributed to a very entertaining match that left the Cobras second from bottom, still to score a point. However, heads could be held high and much was learnt from the game.

Captain – Luke O

Man of the Match – Giles

Result: 2-1 Loss


5th October 2014 – Home V Firside

The Cobras took to the field today in their shiny new home kit against the league leaders. Unfortunately, this proved to be the highlight of the day in a game we’d be looking to forget in a hurry!

Early exchanges saw the Cobras battle well, but true to current form we conceded a soft early goal, that set the benchmark for what was to come. The visitors began to push the ball around well, leaving the home team often chasing shadows. With a relentless and consistent attack the shots were beginning to be fired in from all angles. Despite Adam’s best efforts the goals started racking up towards the end of the 1st half.

With chances and the threat at the other end almost non-existent, the league leaders were finding it easy to pressurise a team lacking in confidence on the ball.

Half Time – 7-0 to Firside

The second half again followed a similar pattern to the 1st. Adam again pulled off a series of good saves with Alex H working tirelessly across the whole back line to try and stop the flow. Despite everyone’s best efforts the goals kept flowing as the finishing in front of goal was becoming more clinical and capitalising on an space and mistakes they were presented with.

As the clock ticked down the coaching team were finding it more and more difficult to watch as it was turning into a cricket score. Despite this, the Cobras battled on until the end. Jake S had one shot blocked as he was about to pull the trigger and Charlie volleyed just wide from a corner, but any goal would have just been poor consolation. The Cobras were well beaten by another well organised team that were likely to be challenging for the title at the end of the season.

All the players now need to find the determination and grit to move on and try and turn their form round. Next week sees a welcome break from the league in a cup game against fellow strugglers Mattistall. Come on you Cobras!

Captain – Charlie H

Man of the Match – Alex H

Result: 17-0 Loss


12th October 2014 – Home V Mattishall (Cup) 

The Cobras entered the game eager to turn around the poor form that has plagued them since the start of the season. The cup match was a welcome break from the tough league fixtures played so far.

The game begin with both teams moving the ball well in what appeared to be an even contest. However, another early and easily conceded goal flew in to put the visitors ahead. Tough luck on the Cobras. The lead was to be short lived though as the Cobras struck back following a lovely pass through the defence by Jake S, putting Alex LB in behind the defence. Cutting in from the left he slid it past a despairing keeper and in to the back of the net. Just rewards for the effort the Cobras were putting in.

Although the home side were giving it their all, too much possession was being conceded and it wasn’t long before Mattishall made this pay. Several goals in behind the back line saw them extend their lead by another 4 goals unanswered to go into the break with a sizeable lead.

Half Time – 5-1 to Mattishall

The second half saw Joss making his debut for the Cobras, but it began as the first had ended. Despite Adam producing another solid display, further goals were added to the visitors tally. The defence were finding it harder to contain them as they grew tired with all the backtracking they needed to do. There was a brief let up from the action at the home end as Alex LB produced the pass of the match to put Giles one on one with the last defender. Showing him a clean pair of heels, he popped it under the onrushing keeper into the back of the net. Just rewards for a hard working display up front by the Cobras. Despite the game being lost, the Cobras fought through to the end with a much improved performance from the week before.

Next week sees up pitted against the same opponents, this time in the league.

Captain – Charlie H

Man of the Match – Adam S

Result: 11-2 Loss


19th October 2014 – Away V Mattishall

Today saw a reverse of the fixture from last week, this time in the league.

The Cobras were operating with a patched up defence with the omission of Alex H & Ewan, who were away for the weekend. However, the boys were determined to do well and try and put last week’s defeat behind them. Unfortunately, the game took a now familiar pattern as the home team struck with a goal from a cross on their first attack. It set the pattern for the game with the visitors unable to contain a confident Mattishall team playing great attacking football.

Any attacks the Cobras were mounting were breaking down in Midfield and Dominic, operating on his own upfront was seeing little of the ball in dangerous areas.

The home team were exposing our weaknesses at will and with it, the goals came. 2-0, 3-0, 4-0. The Cobras had the ball in the net after a good move, splitting through the defence, but the linesman flagged for offside, which appeared very harsh on the Cobras! Mattishall added a further unanswered goal before the break as the whistle blew.

Half Time – 5-0 to Mattishall

We moved from a 4 man defence from 5 after the break to try and bolster the midfield to give more attacking threat. However, the Cobras conceded early again into the 2nd half, which was becoming a regular occurrence for the team this season. The half mirrored the 1st with Mattishall breaking at will and slotting the ball into the back of the net from all around the box. Charlie took a blow to the head that saw him substituted off and other players going down injured in what was becoming a very one-sided match.

The Cobras had another goal chalked off for offside following a great move that saw Lewis drill the ball into the back of the net. Again, tough to take as the goal looked good to us.

The game came to an end with the home side wrapping up the game with two further goals in succession leaving the final scoreline at 13-0. Harsh, but a sign of how difficult every game will be this season.

The boys have a well earned break next week hoping that their fortunes will change ready for the long trip away to East Coast Warriors in two weeks time.

Captain – Charlie H

Man of the Match – Dominic

Result: 13-0 Loss


Back to main team page

Leave a Reply